If you’re using Windows 10, chances are you’re using the default Microsoft driver to access Oracle data sources, which is a great thing in most cases. If you aren’t using that driver, then you probably want to get it installed. The truth is, Microsoft has made the driver available for Oracle, but it’s a little harder to install than you’d think. Here’s how.
As you may have noticed, Windows 10 is not a free and open source operating system. In fact, it has some limitations compared to other operating systems such as Linux or Mac OS X. This is because even though Windows 10 utilizes open source technologies, Microsoft still reserves the right to change or remove certain components. One such component is the Oracle Database 11g ODBC driver. This driver enables C++ applications to connect to Oracle database servers.
Matthew AdamsWindow of Windows and software
Matthew is a freelancer and has written numerous articles on various technology-related topics. His main specialization is the Windows operating system and everything related to it. He’s passionate about… Read more
- If you install the Oracle ODBC driver on Windows 10, you can connect to an Oracle database with Access and other ODBC database applications.
- Users can download and install the ODBC driver for Oracle 19c; this is the latest version with high stability.
- You can establish an Oracle ODBC connection on Windows 10 by configuring the ODBC data source after installing the ODBC driver.
- You will also need to install some Visual C++ packages to install Oracle.
We recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool to solve various PC problems:
This program fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware malfunctions, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC repair tool, which features patented technology (the patent is available here).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- To fix problems that affect the security and performance of your computer, click Repair All.
- Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
Oracle Database is one of the most advanced DBMS (database management systems) for Windows. However, Windows 10 does not have a built-in tool to connect to Oracle ODBC.
Therefore, you must install the Oracle ODBC driver to connect to an Oracle database with an ODBC-compatible application.
To connect to an Oracle database through an application, simply download and install the ODBC package.
In addition, you must add new environment variables and configure a DSN for the driver before you can connect to an Oracle database.
Table Of Content
- How do I install the Oracle ODBC driver on Windows 10?
- 1. Downloading and retrieving Oracle packages
- 2. Add environment variable for Oracle client directory
- 3. Install your Oracle ODBC client package
- 4. Configure DSN for Oracle driver
- 5. Install missing Visual C++ libraries
- Frequently Asked Questions
How do I install the Oracle ODBC driver on Windows 10?
1. Downloading and retrieving Oracle packages
- First, open the Oracle Instant Client page in your browser.
- Then click on the Instant Client for Microsoft Windows 32 or 64 bit link (or the alternative link for your computer platform).
- Click on the link to download the basic package.
- Scroll down the page and click on the SDK Package hyperlink to download this archive.
- You can also click on the link to download the ODBC package.
- Open the File Explorer window by clicking on the button in the folder toolbar.
- In File Explorer, click on the C: main drive.
- Then right-click a location on the C: drive and select New > Folder.
- Enter Oracle as the name for the new folder. After that, you should have a new folder with this path: C:Oracle
- Move the three downloaded Oracle ZIP archives into the Oracle folder. You can do this by selecting the ZIP files, clicking Move To, and choosing Choose Location in File Manager.
- Unzip the three ZIP archives into the Oracle folder. To extract a ZIP, select it and click the Extract All button on the Compressed Folders tab of the File Manager.
- You can then click the Browse button in the Compressed Extraction window to select the Oracle folder. Press the eject button.
- Open the unzipped folder instantclient-basic-windows.x64-184.108.40.206dbru.
- Move the subfolder instantclient_19_11 from that to the Oracle folder.
- Then delete the empty folder instantclient-basic-windows.x64-19.11.0dbru that previously contained the subfolder instantclient_19_11 by right-clicking on it and selecting Delete. Then you have an instantclient_19_11 folder in the Oracle directory.
The ODBC archive and the ZIP master archive must be extracted into the same folder. Choose to unpack the ODBC ZIP in the path of your unpacked Basic package.
Remove instantclient_19_11 at the end of the path in the compressed extraction window to avoid including an additional subfolder.
The SDK package is an optional add-on package. However, it is recommended that you also download this package.
The SDK ZIP archive must also be unpacked into the same instantclient_19_11 folder as the Basic and ODBC package files.
2. Add environment variable for Oracle client directory
- Press the Windows and S keys simultaneously to open the search window.
- Enter the keyword System environment variables in the search text box.
- Click Change System Variables to open the window shown in the following figure.
- Press the Environment Variables button.
- Click the New button for system variables.
- Then enter OCI_LIB32 in the Variable Name field.
- Enter the path to the Oracle folder in the Variable value field. If you followed the instructions above, the path to the folder is as follows: C:OracleInstantclient_19_11.
- Then double-click Path in the system variables to open the window shown in the following screenshot.
- Click the New button and enter the same folder path as you entered in the Variable Value field.
- Press OK key.
To get the list of TNS services when setting up ODBC connections, you must also set the TNS_NAMES system environment variable, which points to the directory that contains the tnsnames.ora file.
3. Install your Oracle ODBC client package
Run a system check for errors
Press Start Scan to check for Windows problems.
Press Repair Everything to troubleshoot proprietary technology.
Run a PC scan with Restoro Repair Tool to find errors that cause security problems and slowdowns. Once the scan is complete, the recovery process replaces the damaged files with new Windows files and components.
To install the ODBC client, open the instantclient_19_11 folder in File Explorer where you extracted the ODBC package. Then right-click on odbc_install.exe and select Run as administrator.
Note that there is no GUI installation wizard for this file. That’s all you have to do.
4. Configure DSN for Oracle driver
- Call up the Windows search program.
- Enter ODBC Data Sources in the search field.
- Click ODBC Data Sources to open the window shown in the following figure.
- Then, on the User DSN (or System) tab, click Add to open the Create New Data Source window.
- Select the Oracle ODBC driver and click Finish.
- Enter the required data in the ODBC Configuration window.
- Click Test Connection to test the connection to the Oracle database server.
- Press OK key to exit.
5. Install missing Visual C++ libraries
You can configure data sources for the Oracle driver using ODBC data source management only if the required Visual C++ package is installed on your computer.
If you receive an error message when you try to install the data source for the Oracle driver, you may be missing the required Visual C++ package.
The current Oracle 19 client requires Visual Studio 17 to be installed. You can download Visual Studio 2017 and older distributed packages from the C++ download page.
Then click on the downloaded VC EXE file to install the Visual Studio package. Here is how to install the Oracle ODBC driver on Windows 10.
After the current Oracle ODBC driver is installed, you can connect to the 19c client with Oracle database versions 11.2 through 19.1.
If you need to troubleshoot ODBC issues in Windows 10, also check out our related article. As for your opinion, there is a waiting area for comments.
Is there a problem? Repair them with this tool:
- Download this PC recovery tool with excellent reviews on TrustPilot.com (download starts on this page).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- Click Repair All to fix problems with patented technology (exclusive discount for our readers).
Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
Was this page helpful? Thank you.
Not enough details.
It’s hard to understand
Contact an expert
Start the conversation
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I install Oracle ODBC drivers?
You can find the Oracle ODBC drivers on the Oracle website.
How do I install ODBC drivers on Windows 10?
To install ODBC drivers on Windows 10, follow these steps: Open the Start menu and search for ODBC. Right-click ODBC and select Run as administrator. Click Next. Click Install. Click Finish. How do I install ODBC drivers on Windows 8.1? To install ODBC drivers on Windows 8.1, follow these steps: Open the Start menu and search for ODBC. How do I install ODBC drivers on Windows 8? To install ODBC drivers on Windows 8, follow these steps: Open the Start menu and search for ODBC. Click Next. How do I install ODBC drivers on Windows 7? To install ODBC drivers on Windows 7, follow these steps: Open the Start menu and search for ODBC. How do I install ODBC drivers on Windows Vista? To install ODBC drivers on Windows Vista, follow these steps: Open the Start menu and
How do I install Oracle ODBC 32 bit driver?
You can install Oracle ODBC 32 bit driver using the following command $ sudo apt-get install lib32z1-dev How do I install Oracle ODBC 64 bit driver? You can install Oracle ODBC 64 bit driver using the following command $ sudo apt-get install lib32gcc1 How do I install Oracle ODBC 64 bit driver on Ubuntu 16.04? You can install Oracle ODBC 64 bit driver on Ubuntu 16.04 using the following command $ sudo apt-get install lib32gcc1 How do I install Oracle ODBC 64 bit driver on Ubuntu 18.04? You can install Oracle ODBC 64 bit driver on Ubuntu 18.10? You can install Oracle ODBC 64 bit driver on Ubuntu 18.10 using the following command $ sudo apt-get install lib32gcc1
oracle odbc driver 220.127.116.11.0 downloadoracle instant clientodbc driver for oracle 19c downloadoracle odbc driver configurationoracle 12c odbc driver download 64-bitoracle odbc client,People also search for,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,oracle odbc driver 18.104.22.168.0 download,oracle instant client,odbc driver for oracle 19c download,how to install oracle odbc driver on windows server 2016,oracle odbc driver configuration,oracle 12c odbc driver download 64-bit,oracle odbc client,oracle odbc driver linux